How to Know When Your Porcelain Veneers Need Replacing
Veneers are a popular cosmetic dentistry option and can be a great way to dramatically enhance the appearance of your smile. Commonly crafted of tooth-colored, durable porcelain, veneers are thin restorations bonded to the teeth that show when you smile. They can be used to address a wide variety of cosmetic dental concerns and can make a smile look whiter, straighter, and more symmetrical, or have other transformative effects. If you’re considering this treatment option to rejuvenate the look of your smile, you may be wondering how long veneers last and when they might need to be replaced.
At KFA Dental Excellence, our seasoned dentists routinely provide porcelain veneers for Farmingdale, NY patients and utilize the highest quality materials when creating these cosmetic restorations. Keep reading to learn about the types of conditions veneers can treat, signs that porcelain veneers may need to be replaced, and how caring for veneers can help them last as long as possible.
Are porcelain veneers right for me?
Porcelain veneers may be performed as a single cosmetic dentistry procedure or as part of a comprehensive smile makeover. These restorations are made to look like natural tooth enamel and are customized to a precise size, shape, and color to enhance the appearance of individual teeth. Our Farmingdale, NY cosmetic dentists place porcelain veneers to meet a wide range of aesthetic concerns for men and women of all ages. Some of the most common reasons for getting porcelain veneers are to improve the appearance of:
- Slightly crooked or crowded teeth
- Minor spaces between teeth
- Yellow, stained, or discolored teeth
- Uneven, worn, or chipped teeth
- Misshapen or short teeth
How often do veneers need to be replaced?
Porcelain veneers from KFA Dental Excellence are fabricated of durable material that maintains stain-resistant properties. But over time, veneers can become worn out, damaged, or no longer structurally sound. When you care for your veneers in the best possible way, these cosmetic restorations can last for up to ten years. However, they may need to be replaced more frequently if you clench or grind your teeth, develop decay on the tooth structure beneath the veneers, or have other oral health concerns.
Signs your porcelain veneers need to be replaced
Recognizing the signs that your veneers need replacing can help ensure you don’t go a day without your smile looking its best. Some of the most noticeable indications for replacing porcelain veneers in Farmingdale, NY patients include:
- Chips, cracks, or other types of damage to the veneers
- Decay or damage to the underlying tooth structure
- Lifting of the veneer from the tooth surface
- Staining or discoloration of the dental veneers
- Gum recession that exposes the underlying root structure
- The loss of luster or light-reflecting properties of the porcelain material
How caring for veneers can help them last
Taking proper care of your porcelain veneers can help them last for as long as possible. The following tips can allow you to maintain your veneers and keep your smile looking its best:
- Brush at least twice each day with a soft toothbrush and non-abrasive toothpaste. This, along with daily flossing, helps minimize the accumulation of plaque, tartar, and tooth stain.
- Keep up with routine cleaning and exam visits at KFA Dental Excellence. Along with polishing your veneers, our team can screen for damage or other issues that may impact the condition of your restorations.
- Avoid clenching or grinding your teeth. If you feel you may be engaging in these habits, talk with our dentists about wearing a custom night guard.
- Do not chew on pens, ice, your fingernails, or other foreign objects. Doing so can chip, break, or otherwise damage your porcelain veneers.
- Protect your teeth during sports. If you work out or play sports, an athletic mouth guard can help prevent damage to your veneers, should a mouth or facial injury occur.
Learn if porcelain veneers can boost your smile
Veneers may be an ideal solution for creating the smile you’ve always wanted. Protecting your restorations with the tips mentioned here can help ensure your veneers serve your smile and last as long as possible. If you're interested in porcelain veneers, our Farmingdale, NY dentists would be happy to help you explore this cosmetic dentistry option. Get in touch with KFA Dental Excellence today to reserve your smile consultation!